What are preventive health check-ups?
Our bodies occasionally run the danger of contracting a disease even when we take all the required measures, such as eating a balanced diet, getting enough sleep, and exercising. A preventative health check-up is performed to identify any health issues early, as the name indicates. Preventative health check-ups identify and lower the risk early. Regular examinations like this can aid in identifying disease behaviors, medical conditions, and infections before they reach a dangerous level.
Thereby, preventive health check-ups assist in lowering the financial burden by preventing the need for costly treatment at the crucial stage by recognizing the disease at an early stage. So, the secret to a better life is getting regular preventative medical or health check-ups.
Benefits of preventive health check-ups-
- Promotes leading a healthy lifestyle
- Keep your medical costs in check
- Keep an eye on your health
- Dependable and valuable health education
- If you modify your lifestyle, the results of the check-up can help you live longer
- Assessment of your chances of being ill
- Early detection of a potentially life-threatening health condition
Who Needs Preventive Medical check-ups?
Preventive Medical Check-ups are recommended for people aged 30 and up. It is used to screen for and detect a wide range of lifestyle diseases, the most important of which are:
- Cardiac or heart disease
According to their ages, the following command tests should be performed as part of preventative health checks:
Infants and kids (0-10 years)
The preliminary tests that need to be conducted at this stage are:
- Ophthalmic test
- New-born jaundice.
Adolescence (12-19 years)
Teenagers prioritize making good lifestyle choices in order to avoid contracting illnesses. However, because diseases at this stage rely on a variety of conditions, the tests that should be performed at this stage include:
- Hepatitis B
- High Cholesterol
Between 20 and 40 years
The following tests should be performed as part of a person's preventative health check-up between the ages of 20 and 40:
- Liquid Profile of Blood Pressure
- Pap smear and pelvic exam (only for women)
- Testicular Hepatitis C Examination (only for men)
- Examining the eyes
- Dental check-up
- Skin cancer self-examination.
Over 40 years old
Tests that one should do if they are above 40
- Screening for cholesterol
- Heart Disease Screening
- Cancer screening
- Osteoporosis screening
- Test for bone mineral density (only for women)
Even at the age of 60 and beyond, people may still lead active, healthy lives. They must, however, have a thorough understanding of how their body functions. At this time, the following tests are advised:
- Screening for prostate cancer
- Test for colorectal cancer
- Test of hearing
These are the fundamental tests that should be performed as part of preventative health examinations. The details of a health examination might also vary based on factors including age, gender, and family medical history.
List of Healthcare Packages for Preventive Care
You may select from a variety of Preventive Healthcare Packages based on your age, gender, and ailment.
- Family Package: Full-body examinations, nutritional, ophthalmology, and dental consultations are all included for the benefit of the whole family. Additionally, some hospitals provide both men's and women's specific packages.
- Cardiac Package: With the use of remedial consultations, this package aims to determine the likelihood of heart attacks, strokes, and other cardiovascular accidents.
- Diabetes Package: Patients with diabetes can take advantage of diabetes programs to maintain their key organs under routine inspection and prevent problems.
- Cancer Package: For early cancer detection and determining future risk.
- Pediatric Package: Healthcare packages including a variety of pediatric, ophthalmic, dental, and general check-ups are offered for children up to the age of thirteen.
- Fertility Check-up: Couples who are having trouble becoming pregnant can visit for fertility check-ups and receive professional advice.
- Dental Package: Dental Packages outside the regular check-up plans are increasingly becoming popular in many hospitals and dental clinics.
Tax deductions for preventative medical check-ups:
The Income Tax Act of 1961 should be understood before purchasing health insurance. A total deduction of INR 25,000 is allowed under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, and an extra INR 25,000 is allowed for parent insurance. Additionally, the amount deductible if one or both parents are elderly citizens is INR 50,000. The highest deduction that may be claimed if both the taxpayer and his or her parents are above 60 years old is Rs. 1 lakh.
Here is a list of items to think about before getting a check-up:
- You must be fasting for most of the check-up investigations, ideally for at least 10 hours.
- Dress comfortably and loosely for ease of movement.
- Avoid wearing jewelry or any other metallic items when undergoing imaging procedures including CT, X-ray, and bone densitometry.
- Beforehand, let your doctor know whether you have a pacemaker or dentures.
- Make careful to commit to routine check-ups and adopt as many healthy lifestyle changes as you can.
In summary, a preventive health examination is a way to spot changes in the body before they become serious. Most of the time, the body doesn't initially exhibit any disease symptoms.
Preventive health exams have several advantages, including early illness identification, which helps diagnose the condition at an early stage and makes it easier to cure. Preventive health examinations are more favorable because of Section 80D of the Income Tax Act of 1961.
Author- Kunjal Jain